Monday, September 04, 2006

Sumi Sensei

Sumi sensei was in HK for a local referee seminar last weekend. I spared my Sat evening to take a lesson from him. Knowing his teaching style since Ikkyu, I hope that by coming to the dojo, he will inspire me in some ways people here can't.

Saturday's class has a focus on tenouchi. We had different exercises to understand what the correct tenouchi should be like. I think those ones with both hands holding the shinai near the tsuba really helps using the left hand to cut.

There's also men-uchi from to-mai, with a step advancing and then immediately cut. There's a funny exercise that "show your sole of your feet to your opponent" before fumikomi to remind us of using the hips more.

Finally there's some kirikaeshi, uchikomi-keiko and jikeiko to end the session with. Managed a keiko with Wong-san and Takase (kohei) which went alright. After that it was standing-in-the-queue time at Sumi-sensei's line. Briefly chatted with Yip and got and updated on who's in the official men's team.

Kishikawa-sensei wasn't there.

There's always emailing coming in about visiting sensei and upcoming events. Now that I don't have the obligation to get to these "all squad member should attend" activities, I'm getting to the trainings when I feel like. May need a longer period of time to build up very strong motivation, but I'm in no hurry. At least I can tell people "I love my job" now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mingshi, glad to hear that things are going well.

I'm curious of this exercise of showing your sole, care to expand on it a little? :)

KangHadi said...

Hi Mingshi,

just want to know, how long it will take to learn kendo starting from "dummy"?

thanks

Anonymous said...

Your whole life, Kanghadi...

Mad Dog said...

Mingshi, You've gone quite. I hope everything is ok. Please come back soon...